Got a question?

Use the Ask Brook 24/7 tool to answer your query or search FAQs

Find a service

Search for your nearest Brook sexual health service here

The practical stuff

We are thrilled you have chosen to fundraise for Brook. This page provides more details about how to keep your fundraising safe and legal to make it a huge success. 

You can also find helpful guidance and information on fundraising regulations on the Institute of Fundraising website.


  • If you plan to serve alcohol or include entertainment such as singing, music or dancing you may need to apply for a licence. Check if the venue is already licensed and, if not, speak to your licensing authority (this will usually be your local authority) about seeking a temporary licence.  
  • Follow food hygiene regulations at all events (www.food.gov.uk). 
  • You may not need a licence to sell food at your event, check with your local authority to make sure. 
  • Make sure all necessary insurance is in place, such as public liability cover. Check this with the venue prior to your event. 
  • All events needs to have been risk-assessed to reduce the potential risks to those attending
  • Seek permission from the venue owner or from the local council if you are using a public place or could obstruct traffic 

Bucket collections

  • If you are collecting on a private property (such as a pub, theatre or supermarket) then all you need is written permission from the owner or manager
  • To collect in the street or a public place you’ll need a licence from your local council. Applications can take time to process so make sure you plan ahead. 
  • Make sure you use collection tins or buckets with a closed lid or are sealed with a sticker 
  • If you need a letter authorising you to collect on behalf of Brook, please email supportbrook@brook.org.uk and this will be provided. 


  • If you’re planning a simple raffle at a fundraising event then you don’t need a licence. All you need to do is sell the tickets at your venue during the event. You can announce the winner(s) after the event.  
  • Have a look at the Gambling Commission’s guide to holding a raffle for charity. 

Promotional materials

  • You will need to make sure that any fundraising materials you produce include all legally required information. 
  • Any posters or flyers should state ‘Registered charity number 703015’. 
  • Please contact us at supportbrook@brook.org.uk if you’d like us to send you poster templates for you to adapt and print.

If you have any other questions about any of the above, please contact the income generation team.