Welcome to Brook Manchester - on these pages you can find information about services and activities in Manchester.
***SERVICE UPDATE 18/03/2020: Brook Manchester is appointment only until further notice. Please call 0161 237 3001 for appointments.***
Brook Manchester operates a free and confidential service for people 19 and under, offering sexual health screening, contraception, pregnancy testing, free condoms and advice, along with a self-referral counselling service.
If you are over 19, you can access sexual health services from The Northern Contraception, Sexual Health and HIV Service.
Additionally, we run weekly sessions within two Manchester College sites, where our specialist clinical support worker can provide young people with advice, pregnancy testing and free condoms.
If you are aged 16-24 and live in a Manchester City postcode, you can request a free chlamydia and gonorrhoea test kit to be send to you by post.
Please note: these test are for people who have no symptoms (are asymptomatic). If you have any symptoms, please contact Brook Manchester on 0161 237 3001 (19 and under) or The Northern Contraception, Sexual Health and HIV Service (over 19).
Brook recommends testing two weeks after unprotected sex (sex without a condom) to ensure an accurate result.
How does it work?
- Postal kits are sent directly to the address that you provide and usually take 3-4 days to arrive. They will be sent in discreet packaging (with no branding or clues about what's inside).
- You can do the test at home. Testing is simple and non-invasive: either a urine test or a vaginal swab that you complete yourself.
- Once you have done your test, you can send it back to us in the freepost envelope provided. The information you provide is sent to The Doctors Laboratory (TDL), who will process the test, and Brook Manchester.
- The results are then sent to you confidentially, usually around 5-7 days after you have returned the test. You will either receive a text message to say results are negative or a text message asking you to contact the clinic to discuss the results.
- If you do not receive a text within 10 days of sending your kit in the post, or if you have any other questions or problems, you can get in touch with Brook Manchester on 0161 237 3001.
Treatment for Chlamydia can be accessed at Brook Manchester's clinical service (19 and under).
Treatment for Gonorrhoea can be accessed from The Northern Contraception, Sexual Health and HIV Service - the team at Brook will help you to access this service if you are 19 or under.
If you are over 19, you can access STI testing along with other sexual health services at www.thenorthernsexualhealth.co.uk
If you are visiting the clinic to receive emergency contraception please make sure you have completed the SXT emergency contraception tool beforehand and bring your results with you.
The walk-in opening times are:
- Monday: 12-6pm
- Tuesday: 12-5pm
- Wednesday: 12-5pm
- Thursday: 12-5pm
- Friday: 12-5pm
- Saturday: 12-3pm
In the event of a busy clinic we may have to ask you to book an appointment, so please ring ahead on 0161 237 3001. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Book an online appointment here (under 19s only).